This is a felame hall of residence. Located near the Main Gate, opposite law school. The students decided to call themselves the crocodiles because of the continued flooding that occurred at front of the hall following heavy downpours. Owing to their association to the Old Mitchell hall, the "Crocodiles" formed a strong solidarity with the New Mitchell hall residents (Rats) known as "Mitchllex".
The hall originally started as the Old Mitchell hall and the Centre for Continuing Education (CCE) Main hall. CCE later became the Institute of Adult and Continuing Education (IACE) in 1992. The CCE Complex Hall was officially established in 1982 in the following manner;
The Hall initially accommodated Adult-learner students of the Centre for Continuing Education (CCE) as well as the direct young entrants to the University.
The Hall in addition to female students housed on the two floors of the main building complex, also housed male students in 4 blocks i.e. Nsubuga, Sepuya, Bamugye and Semakokiro that were later renamed blocks AA, BB, CC and DD.
The complexity of the Hall was further compounded by the fact that it belonged to both the Centre for Continuing Education (CCE) and well as the Office of the Dean of Students, who each had a percentage of students to be accommodated by then.
The hall is the biggest female hall known as "Box" due to the physical structure of the hall. It houses female students who appropriately refer to themselves "Boxers" and form the other half of the "Lumbox" solidarity with Lumumba Hall.
Mary Stuart Hall was completed in 1953 and named after Bishop Stuart's wife, who had worked hard for the betterment of women education during her time in Uganda. The Hall's first extension; as shown in the first picture, were completed in 1959. Extensions included an enlargement of the Dining Hall and construction of a new wing, which included a delightful Junior Common Room and a small set of rooms for research students.
The hall has a monument that is honored by most students known as Gongom. Gongom is addressed as His Majesty, Highness and dressed in an attire (a graduate gown). This attire inspires students to read and work for it and also as a symbol of Unity. The Gongom monument was introduced by former students including the current Lt Gen. Elly Tumwine.
Lumumba Hall was built in the late 1960s and was opened in 1971. It was named after the late Patrice Lumumba, a freedom fighter and the first Prime Minister of the Republic of Congo (currently the Democratic Republic of Congo).
It is the biggest hall on campus and the students call them selves the "Elephants".
In front of the hall you find Nkwame Nkurumah's monument. The hall also has a regalia which is the University's red undergraduate gown, a drum and a flag.
Nkrumah Hall was named after the late Kwame Nkrumah; the first President of Ghana and founder of the Pan-African Movement. New Hall as it was first called was built in 1954 and was originally under the management of Northcote Hall (Now named Nsibirwa).
After gaining its independence Nkrumah Hall was popularly referred to as a colony by Northcote Hall residents then. Nkrumah houses male students and is well known for the culture of Pan Africanism and residents refer to themselves as "Activists".
It is the combination of Old Mitchell with the Center for Continuing Education (C.C.E) that formed what is now referred to as C.C.E Complex Hall (combining C.C.E and Old Mitchell Complex Halls). This explains the historic bond between students of Mitchell and Complex Halls, which together form the Mitchllex solidarity.
Mitchell Hall traces its origins to the very first Hostels that were built in the early 1920s to house Students of the initial Technical School from which the present day University was founded.
These Hostels (named after their first prefects e.g. Sepuya, Semakokiro, Bamugye) were merged in the 1930s to form one hall named Mitchell, after the then Governor of the Uganda Protectorate, Sir Philip Mitchell. The Governor is credited with initiating several visionary changes that shaped and laid the foundations for Makerere to become the World-class University it is today.
When a new structure for Mitchell Hall was constructed in the 1963, the former structure was referred to as Old Mitchell
Footer with solid color background and a contact form, Easily add subscribe and contact forms without any server-side integration.
+256 (0) 706 054 660
+256 (0) 704 759 287
1234 Street Name
City, AA 99999